Holophonic Sound (Head Design)

After some Searching in the SketchUp Warehouse, I found this model of a shaved head. It's exactly what I was looking for: accurate, but very low poly and not overdone. I decided to take a lateral slice every inch, and disaster struck.
The slicer plugin I use has some problems, especially when it's working with complex or imported models (I think this was originally put together in Collada), it tends to "miss" slices. It's free, and it usually works like a charm, so I can't really complain, but it still hung me up for a while.
In the end, I found a workaround. First, I sliced caudally with amath 1/4 endmath " slices(It still missed slices, but not near as many.), then sliced laterally with my originally planned 1 inch slices (I also paired slices that were similar to each other). I then used the Arc/Beizer curve tools to make smooth approximations.
Done! I have my file ready to print out and cut, I just need to make a hot wire and get some foam (I'm thinking polystyrene from HomeDepot). I think I'll make the modifications to make it a bust once I've printed it. It's difficult to make the bust sheets of foam in SketchUp.

No comments:

Post a Comment